|How to cite this article:
Wiwanitkit V. Food poisoning due to cake intake: A case study. Ann Trop Med Public Health 2015;8:307
|How to cite this URL:
Wiwanitkit V. Food poisoning due to cake intake: A case study. Ann Trop Med Public Health [serial online] 2015 [cited 2020 Oct 31];8:307. Available from: https://www.atmph.org/text.asp?2015/8/6/307/162618
The problem of food poisoning is an important gastrointestinal disorder in the tropical world. Many food poisoning outbreaks occur each year. The food poisoning due to eating contaminated cake is an interesting situation that has been sporadically reported. ,,, In fact, cake is a dessert that has a wide intake around the world. It is classified as a bakery product that has to pass the baking process in cooking. Nevertheless, contamination can be seen at times. Here, the author reports a case study of food poisoning due to cake intake. The indexed situation occurred in the evening after a long day of thesis examination at a university. A medical professor started to develop acute abdominal pain that further progressed to severe diarrhea and vomiting. The patient had an intake of a green tea cake filled with coconut cream 4 h before the illness. This case was diagnosed as food poisoning due to Staphylococcus toxin. At the same time, a student developed a similar problem but there were mild symptoms; the case was also a possible case of Staphylococcus toxin food poisoning. The period between the cake intake and the onset of illness in this situation was 4 h, which was concordant with the nature of Staphylococcus toxin food poisoning. Periera et al. noted that the problem of Staphylococcus toxin food poisoning in cake is usually related to poor refrigeration preservation before eating.  Periera et al. noted that “the cake was accidentally contaminated by the food handler and inadequately cooled before it was eaten.”  Anunciaηao et al. noted that the contamination before baking could be gotten rid of by baking, and good refrigeration could effectively control the growth of Staphylococci.  Hence, the main cause of Staphylococci overgrowth is due to a poor refrigeration system.
The problem is common in a party. In the present case, the cakes were served to several members, students, and staff attending the thesis examination.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Thallium poisoning from eating contaminated cake – Iraq, 2008. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2008;57:1015-8.
Milazzo A, Rose N. An outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium phage type 126 linked to a cake shop in South Australia. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 2001;25:73.
Guzman-Herrador B, Jensvoll L, Einoder-Moreno M, Lange H, Myking S, Nygard K, et al. Ongoing hepatitis A outbreak in Europe 2013 to 2014: Imported berry mix cake suspected to be the source of infection in Norway. Euro Surveill 2014;19. pii: 20775.
Pereira ML, do Carmo LS, dos Santos EJ, Bergdoll MS. Staphylococcal food poisoning from cream-filled cake in a metropolitan area of south-eastern Brazil. Rev Saude Publica 1994;28:406-9.
Anunciaçao LL, Linardi WR, do Carmo LS, Bergdoll MS. Production of staphylococcal enterotoxin A in cream-filled cake. Int J Food Microbiol 1995;26:259-63.
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None